Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On My Way

 
After the past year of preparation leading up to working in Uganda, it almost feels surreal that I’m sitting on the airplane on my way.  What a huge answer to prayer and such a blessing. Thank you for all who have encouraged me to follow God’s leading to Africa and have taken part of this ministry, whether it’s in conversation, prayer, or financial support. As a part of the larger body of Christ, I know I would not be stepping into these two years of ministry without you! It is definitely hard leaving Pennsylvania, especially after saying goodbye to all of my family.

With every goodbye I feel like I understand more and more the cost of being a disciple for Jesus Christ. But the sadness is not without a great joy and peace of knowing I’m diving into service for God. I’m reminded of Paul’s words in Acts 20:24, when he says before he goes into ministry “I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”

I am spending these first two weeks in Jos, Nigeria visiting the family of my boyfriend, Danial Iya. If you live in Elverson, you probably met him this summer. Daniel and I have been dating for nine months and feel like it is an appropriate time for me to spend some time getting to know his parents. It is also a convenient time as Nigeria is relatively “on the way” to Uganda! While in Nigeria, I will also be visiting a Rafiki Foundation (www.rafikifoundation.org). I’ve heard quite a bit about the Rafiki Foundation and am eager to watch the orphanage in action!

I’ll be in Nigeria until August 1st when I will fly from Abuja, Nigeria to Entebbe, Uganda. It is then that I will start full time ministry at Good Shepherd’s Fold orphanage as the Child Sponsorship Coordinator.

These next few weeks are going to be full of transitions, hellos, and more goodbyes. In light of this, I have a couple things that I would like to ask you to pray for:

1.     Please pray for safety in travel and also during my time in Jos. If you’re unaware of the current conditions of the city of Jos, check out the news and you’ll read of the unrest.
2.     Please pray that my time with Daniel’s family would be fruitful. I woke up yesterday with laryngitis and literally have NO VOICE is except quiet whispers. I sound so pathetic that it’s laughable, but it is going to be hard to get to know Daniel’s parents when I can’t even talk! Please pray quick healing!
3.     These two weeks at Daniel’s house will also be the last two weeks I have with Daniel until we are separate for two years (except occasional visits). Please pray that our time together would be sweet and that the goodbye wouldn’t be too hard! Pray that my relationship with Daniel would act as a stronghold for me rather than an emotional breaking point.

Thank you for your prayers!

I’d also like to share a big praise with you! Last update I mentioned that I would be teaching the missions emphasis portion of Vacation Bible School at Community Evangelical Free Church. It went so well! The children definitely seemed to understand the idea of an orphanage in Uganda. I also spent a day talking about specific children at Good Shepherd’s Fold and asking for the CEFC children to keep these GSF kids in their prayers. They definitely took the testimonies of these children to heart and had many great questions! The last day I taught we actually did a craft. The craft had two parts: one part served as a reminder for the children to pray for the kids at GSF, and the other part was for an encouragement for the kids at GSF. They were given two Africa cutouts. On one cutout they posted a picture of themselves with a message such as “I am praying for you!” On the other cutout they posted a picture of a child from GSF and wrote something like “Remember to pray for Amon at GSF.” The CEFC children seemed to love the craft and asked how they could continue connection with the children they were praying for! I posted a couple pictures of the craft for you to check out. I had Daniel helping me with the teaching and he taught the children an African praise song. The kids loved it, and so I posted that too if you’re interested in checking it out!






Thanks again for your prayers. I’ll keep you updated as internet permits!

2 comments:

  1. Corinne,

    May God truly bless you and your work in Uganda. I'm sorry I wasn't able to spend time with you guys this summer, but God leads us in different directions. I am so excited for you and I know that He is going to use you in amazing and magnificent ways for His Kingdom. Isn't it exciting to see how He leads?!! Safety in travels and the strength and peace of Christ be with you during the next two years.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrine,

    Travis and I will be praying for you and we love you a lot!

    ReplyDelete